Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Nibbles...

Before I begin, please allow me to acknowledge that I may choose to work with a laptop rather than the smart phone, alone.  Of course any professional with the means would do so, right?
To be clear, I began with an idea - generate income with one of the very expenses causing the need for it, my phone.  However, I have already written that to be successful in a world where one hasn't experience, a name must be made!

That is my first priority.  I have placed tens of bids on freelancing websites and found some pretty weird "opportunities," already.  The difficulty I have had lies in discernment between legitimate jobs and scams or shams.  On these websites such as ifreelance.com and freelance.com, to name a couple, there are tasks galore.  "Build my website," "Writer needed for ebay postings," "Data entry -unlimited income potential!"  While I doubted the legitimacy of some of them, I decided to treat them all as free educational opportunities and began bidding.  I was honest, perhaps to a fault, about my experience and my desire to gain experience.

With low expectations, some of them were met!  I received offers to enter data for what amounted to pennies per minute.  I had to work on India's schedule, using their personal passwords, in what appeared to be a primitive web application.  To be clear, I want experience, but that was enough Data Entry experience of that kind for me.  I actually enjoy Typing and Editing almost as much as Writing (if that makes me weird, so be it).  Next, I tried listings on ebay.  I have an ebay account with history and experience.  I can write and take pictures as well as many sellers there so I figured, "why not?"  One potential client wanted me to lie and say that I was shipping products that would actually be shipped in three weeks' time, from Hong Kong.  I am proud of my 100% feedback rating and more importantly, the honest manner in which I conduct myself.  So I moved on...  Another potential client decided to list items on their own, instead.  They asked if I would just sell them my ebay ID, instead.  Again, I have that conscience thing going on.  I did come close with ebay sales, though.  One person wanted to pay me for listing ATV's on ebay.  It would have been ME listing them as a drop shipper in the U.S., but I would actually get to say who was shipping them.  Things looked good until I asked if I could speak with them on the phone to finalize arrangements.  I never heard from them again.

With my new education, I decided to look into craigslist.org.  I have learned more, and continue learning.  In fact, real contact with real people has occurred!  Stay tuned for, "Now I'm Getting Somewhere (sort of)!

By the way, just in case this blog finds a readership, I will be happy to explain anything in response to your questions, via the comments on this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment